Prufrock's Page

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Keillor's Kick In The Pants

Trying to be a writer? Whining about how hard it is? Telling everyone you know that you'd churn out that novel if it wasn't for your day job? Well, Garrison Keillor has some words for you:

"OK, let me say this once and get it off my chest and never mention it again. I have had it with writers who talk about how painful and harrowing and exhausting and almost impossible it is for them to put words on paper and how they pace a hole in the carpet, anguish writ large on their marshmallow faces, and feel lucky to have written an entire sentence or two by the end of the day...

"The truth, young people, is that writing is no more difficult than building a house..."

Heh.

1 Comments:

  • Writing's easy.

    Writing well is another story.

    I regularly write travel, cuisine and cricket-centric essays either for my blogs or for my own pleasure (or futile attempts to get published in some magazine), and once an idea sinks in, getting the words to flow to paper/screen isn't that hard.

    The real difficulty for me comes in sitting down in front of my writing a day or so later and going over it, picking out flaws and trying to repair them and make the piece more airtight. Seems so easy when others do it.

    By Blogger Salil, at 11:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home