Prufrock's Page

Thursday, August 24, 2006

The Hysterical Realism Of Nappy Changing

"Just out of curiosity, how do you write with a literary critic in the house?

It’s perfectly easy for me. I show him stuff, and I want him to be my loving husband and the honest literary critic at the same time. It’s not a problem for me, it’s a problem for him, he has to negotiate that one. I have to say, it does seem an incredible gift in life to spend so much time with somebody who cares so much about the same things I care about.

So you have a household that’s dedicated to literary endeavor.

[Laughs.] Most of the time. Right now, it’s about changing diapers."

- Claire Messud, whose The Emperor's Children has been longlisted for the Booker, on life with husband James Wood.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home