Prufrock's Page

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

The Worth Of Prizes

"You do become resentful when you are working, as I did for 12 years, without being noticed. It was becoming increasingly difficult to get my work into print. There is such a difference between having won one prize and none. You've got the cultural imprimatur. You feel anointed. But you shouldn't trust this thing. My agent keeps encouraging me to consolidate my gains by going on reading tours and so on. I guess it's all about building and keeping an audience. You keep doing it for now because, as a former nobody, you fear that your coach will turn into a pumpkin. I do feel lucky. And I do have a sense of a parallel future which could have been so different if I hadn't won the Orange. But if you ask me if I'd prefer to have had early success or what happened to me, I'd choose my story; I like my story. I like mine a lot."

- Lionel Shriver, author of We Need to Talk About Kevin

1 Comments:

  • Lionel Shriver is a woman.

    I sense some regret too.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home