Prufrock's Page

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

True Fiction

Nadine Gordimer has been awarded the French Legion of Honour. In the words of the French ambassador to South Africa: "We also wish to pay tribute to a symbolic figure of the fight against apartheid, that absurd and terrible system that sought, unrealistically to separate races." And this is from a 2004 interview with the author: "There is more truth in my fiction than in nonfiction. I think, subconsciously, [if] I am writing an article or talking to you, there is a certain amount of self-censorship going on. But in my fiction I am writing as if I were dead. I want to say it all. I want to say everything I know."

2 Comments:

  • I want to thank you for your blog. I learn so many things, such as the notes on Rushdie and Sontag, that I don't see anywhere else.

    I hope you will continue the good work.

    --dglen, USA

    By Blogger dglen, at 9:56 PM  

  • I second Daniel's comment- your blog has a great span and always covers interesting, abstruse facts, interviews etc.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home