Prufrock's Page

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

The Times of Whose India?

Today's online edition of The Times of India has ten stories.

One on the Mumbai monsoon, one on a suspected Kerala link with the London blasts, one on a new defence deal that Pakistan is seeking with Washington. And one on Murali's effectiveness against the Indian cricket team.

Here are the other headlines:

The psyche of the bare bod!

Going topless in Bollywood!

Women's patch of sexual desire

Were Sushmita, Ash next in line?

Hindi movies: bare-all, dare-all?

I'm not single, so I'm available

To think that this is, by their own admission, the largest selling English newspaper in the world.

5 Comments:

  • Thank you for noticing the publishing of non-news!
    But never trust statistics. I mean, look at the English-speaking population of India. Perhaps they mean the B&C group is the most widely read? I suppose it's because people don't like to read about poverty and caste politics in places outside the cities, yes? Yeah, I know farmers are committing suicide somewhere, but why look at malnourished babies when I can look at anorexic models?
    Sorry please. Journalism college hangover.
    Nice blog. Both.

    By Blogger chamique, at 11:16 AM  

  • Shows what the world wants to read, doesn't it?

    By Blogger Veena, at 9:10 PM  

  • Good one -- I have started a blog for this sometime back, bub did not get time to post there. you have inspired me again :-)

    http://toisucks.blogspot.com

    By Blogger Amit, at 3:47 AM  

  • Oh, what wonderful observation. I wonder about this everyday. I wonder why they came up with Mumbai Mirror for TOI main edition seems to me a tabloid.

    And the online edition? Check this out- there is always a "sex" based story on the TOI homepage. Always. Even as I write this, the third headline from bottom at timesofindia.com says, "Goodnight, no time for sex".

    Well, for these guys, no time for quality news either.. *yawn*

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:57 AM  

  • Thank God! There are others who share my sentiments w.r.t to TOI. hope DNA/HT Mumbai shake TOIs roots in mumbai.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home