Prufrock's Page

Thursday, September 15, 2005

Shoot Mouth Off In Haste, Issue Press Release At Leisure

Following her earlier vitriolic comments about the state of England, Zadie Smith now appears to have had a change of heart. One doesn't want to offend the Booker jury, after all:

"I have lived in England my entire life and have an enormous love of the place, a fact that is obvious to anyone who has read my fiction. English fiction is my first love and the joy of English culture and history infuses every aspect of my work…I said I had no 'f***ing chance' of getting on the Booker shortlist because it seemed to me that the longlist was of an incredibly high standard. I am amazed and delighted to have been shortlisted…”

Read the entire press release here.

Oh, and former Booker nominee Zoe Heller seems to have been convinced: "...if I was really pushed to bet on somebody, it would be Zadie Smith. I think it's her time."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home