Prufrock's Page

Monday, June 05, 2006

Reading A Book A Day

John Allemang, who writes the Globe And Mail's 'Book A Day' column, speaks out on the occasion of his 100th review:

"...it's taken over my life, and that should be good enough. As my mentor, Bonnie Fuller, would say, I've discovered the joys of much too much. Now, I have to admit that if you devote yourself wholeheartedly to reading, an occupation that was held up as an ideal when I was at school, you end up losing contact with humanity -- but only the living and breathing version. There isn't a day when I don't feel immersed in the world, reading about the search for a lost Caravaggio in the wilds of Italy, or the desperate struggles of the Impressionists in Paris, or what it was like to grow up in backwoods Texas, or do battle in Algiers, or be Catherine Deneuve."

Now, why can't someone offer us a job like that?

1 Comments:

  • Agreed- that job sounds like the kind of thing we'd all give our 2 eyes for..err..did I just say that? :-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home