Prufrock's Page

Friday, June 30, 2006

What Not To Submit To Esquire

Adrienne Miller, former Esquire literary editor turned debutant novelist, speaks of the submissions she received during her stint at the magazine:

"I did it for eight years. It’s a really long time for a job like that. Each magazine, given its sensibility, has its own house-style short story. We at Esquire tended to get a lot of misogynist stuff. Sort of gritilly realistic, Hemingway-esque type fiction."

But it had its advantages, too:

"It was an amazing experience to work with the caliber of writers with whom I worked. Had I been a book editor, I wouldn’t have gotten to work with Don DeLillo, for instance. That was really great. And as a writer, working with really amazing writers made me really want to achieve something at a very high level—and to really write. Not to write the gritilly realistic short fiction I had been spending my life reading, but to hopefully write something that was matching the couple amazing short stories I would read during the course of a year. Some of my favorite stories were by Richard Russo, Joanna Scott, Nicole Krauss, Heidi Julavits."

1 Comments:

  • Thanks for providing the link to Ms Miller's profile.

    I can see, among other things, that she is a very good-looking woman!

    By Blogger Bishwanath Ghosh, at 1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home