Prufrock's Page

Monday, June 25, 2007

Sounds Wonderful

"Writing a novel is full of stops and starts and paths not taken, or taken and then untaken, or paths best not taken but taken anyway. How the book ends up looking and how I might describe it now could be two very different beasties. I will say that my intention is to write a bicultural novel, where Japanese perspectives are given an equal weight to Dutch/European perspectives. It's the most demanding thing I've ever tried to do."

- David Mitchell on his new novel (courtesy The Literary Saloon).

2 Comments:

  • Question - do you know of any article or text that outlines the structure of the novel?

    What about the fabled '7 basic plots'?

    J.A.P.

    By Blogger J. Alfred Prufrock, at 1:16 PM  

  • See this one, coincidentally by Mitchell himself:

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/getwriting/module15p

    Christopher Booker's 'The Seven Basic Plots' is another one of those unread volumes on my shelf that glares at me from time to time. Will attempt to start it soon!

    By Blogger PrufrockTwo, at 4:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home