Prufrock's Page

Sunday, June 26, 2005

Dil Maange Moore

Lorrie Moore’s short story 'How to Become a Writer' begins: "First, try to be something, anything, else." Just another example of how the lady can be ironic, self-deprecating and insightful, often all in the same sentence. Now, in recognition of her achievements, she’s been awarded the PEN/Malamud Award for excellence in short fiction. (According to a brief note in The New York Times' Arts section.)

This is from a 1998 profile in Ploughshares: “I used to stay up all night and write and read, and I was quite obsessive. But now it’s a much more modest endeavor. When your life gets crazy and complicated, your hopes turn into ‘I hope I get enough sleep so that I can get some writing done this year.' "

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home