Prufrock's Page

Friday, June 10, 2005

A "Good Bad Poet"

I think that I shall never see
A billboard as lovely as a tree.
Perhaps unless the billboards fall,
I'll never see a tree at all.

That, of course, is by Ogden Nash. There's a new biography of the man out, which The New Yorker loftily calls 'a sympathetic appraisal', adding: "A fixture of this magazine for many decades, Ogden Nash was a nimble master of light verse. He abandoned early dreams of literary greatness, and chose, he once said, to become 'a good bad poet, rather than a bad good poet.' Blessed with a gentle, deflationary wit, Nash took aim at what he called the 'minor idiocies of humanity,' skewering the affectations of middle-class American life."

2 Comments:

  • I would live all my life in nonchalance and insouciance.
    Were it not for making a living, which is rather a nouciance.

    That's just good sense. And among the funniest would be "To A Small Boy Standing On My Shoes While I Am Wearing Them"!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 9:30 PM  

  • ...and let's not forget 'Reflection On A Wicked World':

    Purity
    Is obscurity.

    By Blogger PrufrockTwo, at 9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home